The earliest war memorials were established in Charles Sturt soon after WWI ended. Constructed in the spirit of patriotism that swept Australia following the war, memorials were built to honour and recognise those who had served and, importantly, those who had tragically not returned. In the years since, countless memorials have been erected commemorating a range of conflicts, battles, and individuals. These memorials comprise many different forms, such monuments, cairns, buildings, plaques, clocks and honour boards.
The City of Charles Sturt continues to honour those who served and the tradition of commemoration by maintaining, in collaboration with local service groups and organisations, a number of memorials.
Henley Beach Soldier’s Memorial
A significant and unique internal memorial constructed in 1921 as part of the Henley Town Hall. It features honour boards for WWI, WWII, South East Asian and Gulf War (1991) conflicts. 111 names appear on the WWI service roll. 28 men from the Henley & Grange area did not return.
The memorial was intended as a ‘room of silence’ and is one of the most elaborate built by a suburban council. The foundation stone of the building reads: This memorial is dedicated to those who served in the Great War, 1914 – 1918, being residents of this town, in grateful recognition of their gallant deeds and noble sacrifice.
The major feature of the memorial is its stain glass window. Depicting a soldier kneeling on the ground, with the figure of Christ above, the window is considered one of the most important memorial windows in South Australia. The main image of this website is taken from the window.
Erected in 1924 by the Gelland Soldiers Club, now the West Croydon/Kilkenny RSL, the memorial predominantly honours local residents who served in WWI and WWII. In recent years it has been updated to acknowledge South East Asian conflicts.
Korea and South East Asian Memorial
Constructed in 1996, this impressive piece of public art stands in the Port Road reserve at Hindmarsh. Two intersecting metal arches artistically illustrate four conflicts – Korea, Malaya, Borneo and Vietnam. The memorial has been updated to reflect the 2009 repatriation of the last two Australian servicemen listed as ‘missing in action’. A WWII era Bofor anti-aircraft gun is located nearby.
Coral Sea Monument
Located in the median of HMAS Australia Road, the memorial was initially erected in 1992 to commemorate 50 years since the battle of the Coral Sea. In 2011, the memorial specific to HMAS Australia II was installed at the site. This memorial is accompanied by an avenue of trees dedicated in 1990.
Catalina Flying Boats Memorial William Atkin Reserve, Henley South
Unveiled in 1995, this small memorial honours ‘those who served in Catalina flying boats in Australia and overseas in defence of freedom, 1939‐1945.’
Allan Cooper Memorial (Carnegie Reserve)
Erected in memory of Allan Cooper, who was killed in action in Vietnam in 1968, aged 21.
Woodville Town Hall Clock
Added to the Town Hall by Woodville Council in 1950, the clock serves as a tribute ‘to the men and women of this municipality who served and sacrificed’ in both WWI and WWII.